Today we’d like to introduce you to Lauren Wise.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Lauren. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
I’ve been a writer and editor for over 15 years. A few years after graduating from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, it was right when the economy and job market crashed. I started freelance writing and editing. I worked as a magazine columnist, and an editor for an array of magazines, including True West, a Western history magazine; Runway, a fashion magazine emulated in the Devil Wears Prada film; and the iconic travel publication Where magazine. After segueing into book editing, I founded Midnight Publishing in 2009; sort of a “professional umbrella” for all of my editorial work. My goal slowly became to fill a big need I kept seeing: Authors and businesses not only needed reliable and professional editorial services in the struggling economy, but they also greatly benefitted from having an editor’s insight on what they were doing wrong, to strengthen their writing and marketing efforts.
I try to make it a high priority to be on the cusp of what’s happening in writing and publishing. Besides my own company, I also work with the top award-winning hybrid indie presses based in Tempe, She Writes Press and SparkPress as an editorial manager. For my clients, I need to understand all aspects of the publishing industry and stay up-to-date on the trends, from what book genres are on the rise, to an understanding of the cover design and formatting elements, to printing and distribution.
I also love to travel, and have lived all over the country and spent time throughout Europe, Vietnam, Taiwan, The Virgin Islands, Cambodia, Canada, and Mexico, which has opened my mind to several cultures, ideas, and editorial styles. My favorite books to work on are business or memoirs rooted in the arts, YA, and literary fiction.
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
Is there ever a smooth road as an entrepreneur, business owner, or strong female?! Of course, there’s been challenges, and there always will be. But I’ve been really lucky with my support system in my life-my family especially. I was always taught that I could be anything I wanted and we live in a time where that’s really true. We can develop a career out of a passion and reach people all over the world with the Internet, social media, and communications now. One of my biggest challenges has often been the struggle to be taken seriously as a young female entrepreneur. When I was in my twenties, pitching ideas or discussing a piece of work with a male colleague in his thirties or forties, I’d have to really show up and make my knowledge present. But the good thing is that awareness made me work even harder.
Something else is the finances. You have to develop and understand a strong business plan for yourself from the start, and tweak it as you and your company evolve.
Financially, it can be daunting to figure out what the right things are to invest in, from services and products to employees. I also recently had to learn that my multi-tasking has become more of a problem – it’s actually hindering my productivity in a big way.
Please tell us about Midnight Publishing.
At Midnight Publishing, 75% of our clients are authors looking for a book editor, ghostwriter, or publishing consultation and guidance. The remaining 25% are students and businesses looking for copywriting or copyediting on a website, academic paper, brochure, training manual—things like that. We’re mostly known for our work on fiction and nonfiction books, and have had the opportunity to work with some really high -profile, amazing figures—many who live right here in the Valley! But we also work with clients around the country. I work with a close network of individuals and companies that I’ve done extensive research on and trust, from proofreaders and editors, to book cover designers and formatters, to literary agents and publishers. The goal is to help authors publish their book in the most professional way possible, guiding them to the right path based their target demographic, time restraints, budget, intentions, and more. I’m most proud when an author has successfully published their book, with developed plan on their marketing and distribution that we were able to assist with—that’s the best. And when an author lets me know they won an award, or gets compliments on how well the book is edited or designed. It’s all about helping authors bring their book into the world, because it’s a labor of love and more of an investment than people realize.
If you had to go back in time and start over, would you have done anything differently?
I would’ve taken more business and computer science classes in college, and probably taken more advantage of the free resources there.
- Website: www.midnightpublishingllc.com
- Phone: 480.666.5499
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @MidnightWriting