Today we’d like to introduce you to Lacey Phillips-Youngs.
Lacey, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
My mom was always taking pictures throughout my childhood. Out of all the kids, I was the one who loved posing on the staircase in my homemade dresses and sunflower hats as she snapped away on her film camera. The camera was there at every occasion- birthdays, holidays, vacations, and the in-between moments. When her camera was put away, I would go and take a peek at it and the hundreds of photographs stashed in albums in her closet.
I was really mesmerized by photographs even then.
At age nine, I began my journey as a self-taught artist. I was always drawing cartoons in class or ruining my clothes with acrylic paints. In high school, I signed up for graphic design, journalism and joined the yearbook staff. Then when I turned 17, about ten years ago now, on Christmas Day, my parents presented me with my very own digital camera. I was obviously so beyond thankful and excited to take it out of the box. I spent that afternoon shooting photographs of my family making Christmas dinner, my sleepy dogs on the couch, and eventually my sister and I went down the road to take her portraits. That is when something clicked for me.
It was as if finally having my own camera in my hands made perfect sense.
I went on to graduate with a Bachelors in Art Education in 2016 from ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts. Art school allowed me to combine aspects of my love of fine arts with my photography. It’s been ten years and going of photographing amazing people who have become long-time clients and friends. Only over the past few years, have I slowly turned this hobby into a business. My goal now is to really focus on growing my photography cliental here in Arizona and eventually travel worldwide as a portrait photographer.
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
As of recently, my biggest struggle was comparison. It’s so easy to get caught up in the fact that I am just one of a large pool of talented photographers here!
What I have come to find is that it only sets me backwards when I begin to compare myself. It’s a form of fear, really. You miss out on so much when you fear.
Instead, what propels me forward is what I do with that doubt- have faith in God, work hard and have confidence in knowing what I can offer is unique and can reach certain people in only the way I can.
What has been smooth about all this is working with some genuinely kind-hearted families and couples over the years. I don’t believe I would have ever had the pleasure or opportunity to get to know as many people as I do without a camera in my hand.
Lacey – what should we know? What do you do best? What sets you apart from others?
- I am a lifestyle, natural light, portrait photographer.
- I specialize in couples and families.
- I am down to travel and hike just to find a place that is inspiring and beautiful!
- Photography is my way of loving others.
- I truly care about providing the highest quality and meaningful work for my clients.
- I am in tune with my client’s emotions, and I take full advantage of our time together so no moment is wasted.
- My photographs incorporate my artful flare.
- You won’t get average portraits, but instead be given photographs that are full of life and genuine emotions.
Tell us about your favorite and least favorites things about our city.
I am actually native to Arizona. I love the comfort and being able to see the surrounding mountains. I love the food-oh the food is amazing! The people with their small businesses, the families on their afternoon stroll down Downtown Gilbert, the smell of farms, and seeing a monsoon roll in over the valley. Oh and the sunsets, of course!
- My favorite businesses: Mountainside Glass- a family company, Pet Planet, Espos, Liberty Market, Yanagi Sushi, The Art House, & El Zocalo
- My favorite places: Lost Dutchman State Park, Papago Park, Downtown Gilbert, Phoenix Art Museum, Science Center, & Chandler Mall
- Website: http://www.
- Email: laceybeephotography@
- Instagram: https://www.
- Facebook: https://www.