Today we’d like to introduce you to Jack Narayanan.
Every artist has a unique story. Can you briefly walk us through yours?
My love of photography began early. I grew up in India with a father who was a producer of major motion pictures. I would spend hours on the set of Bollywood films, sitting right behind the cinematographer and the camera. I immediately became fascinated by photography. When my father gave me a Brownie camera I was completely hooked!
“I can’t imagine my life any other way as I see the world through the lens of my camera.”
Over the years I continued to learn more about photography, but it took a backseat as I earned degrees in physics and electrical engineering. I came to the United States to pursue an MBA in marketing, and I firmly believe that my education and experience in these fields have made me a better photographer.
In addition to my various degrees, I also graduated from the New England Institute of Professional Photography (NEIPP). In recent years I’ve been recognized both nationally and internationally, and I received the Kodak Gallery Award from the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). My work has earned several Blue Ribbons and Best in Show awards ranging from statewide competitions to national salons and galleries, and I’m proud to be a member of the Professional Photographers of America.
While I have years of experience and education, I’m always learning and striving to keep my photography fresh. I regularly attend seminars and classes to learn about current trends and new technology, and I am passionate about creating amazing photographs. Over the years I have been blessed to work with many clients, from high school seniors to extended families. I am partial to Fashion, Beauty and Fashion Editorial photography. My goal is to capture real emotion and give my clients a portrait that is better than they could have ever dreamed.
Please tell us about your art.
My main area of specialization includes: Fine Family Portraiture on location, High School Seniors and Fashion/Beauty photography.
I specialize in creating custom pieces of art, and that means giving you printed photographs. Photography is more than just snapping an image. It’s the tangible evidence of that image; a brief moment of time captured and brought to life just for you.
That’s why at Narayanan Photography, I stress the importance of printed photography. I offer something to hold on to, something to pass around, frame, and hang on a wall. I make albums that will be treasured for generations to come.
Photographs weren’t meant to live on your phone or your social media profile. They were meant to be printed – professionally – and hang on your walls. They belong on the mantle, in the foyer, and lining your hallway. That’s why I assist all clients in choosing the right portrait for the right area of their home with my new innovative projection system. I come to your home and project the portrait directly onto the wall so you can see exactly what it will look like and can make the perfect customization choice for you.
The importance of a family portrait cannot be emphasized enough. I believe every family needs a real portrait, one that captures the love and devotion you have for one another. A family portrait provides a glimpse into your family’s life in one particular moment – a snapshot of your family as it is right now.
Time goes by so quickly and a family portrait is the perfect way to press pause. When I work with families, I strive to capture the essence of the family – the relationships and the raw emotions you display when interacting with each other. I create family portraits that speak directly to you, while also providing a fun and interactive session!
The images I capture are ones to be treasured for a lifetime. A good family portrait becomes a family heirloom, a timeless work of art to be handed down to future generations. And that is exactly what I provide to my clients here in Scottsdale, Arizona.
This is not an assembly line. I work hard to ensure you have the very best experience, and that begins before we bring out the camera.
I personally meet with the family prior to our session to discuss all the details. I specialize in creating fine family portraits, and that involves careful planning. We’ll talk about what they should wear, how to do their hair and
makeup, where the perfect location is, and any other detail that is important to them.
The session itself will be a fun and exciting experience. A session typically lasts up to 2 hours, depending on the size of the family. The session can take place in your home or anywhere you wish, within a 75-mile radius of my studio. We have so many beautiful locations here in Arizona, so outdoor sessions are typically the best choice. I am always happy to help clients select the perfect spot!
After the photo shoot we will schedule an in-person ordering session, typically within a week or so. During this session I will go to their home with my new innovative projection system. With it I am able to project your original portrait directly onto their wall, enabling them to see exactly how their portrait will look in their home. This service is no additional charge to them – it’s simply part of the experience. We will go through all their options, including size, finish, and textures. They will know exactly what they’re getting before I leave!
High School Senior:
Personally, I love senior portraits. Today’s seniors want to look like rock stars and supermodels. They want to look glamorous. They want to look and feel like celebrities they see on TV. So, I give them what they want. This is a big moment for the parents as it is for the seniors. If you give them hair and makeup, help with wardrobe, provide cool locations, and offer fashion advice, you’ll be on your way to giving these seniors the experience of a lifetime and the sales to power and grow my business.
I want to make sure they shine! My senior sessions are designed to showcase them. I’ll bring out their unique style in us on-location session. They may even feel ready for America’s Next Top Model as they strike a pose in the natural beauty of the surrounding area of Scottsdale, Arizona.
Beauty and Fashion Photography:
Throughout my career, I have had a transcendent passion for the magic of being a beauty and fashion photographer…
As a beauty photographer, I tend to bring out the beauty within each subject and, by leveraging relationships with talented make-up artists and hair stylists, allows me to constantly rise above expectations.
When I am creating a beauty shot, only the model’s face is visible – the frame tightly cropped to emphasize the makeup, hair or model’s expression. This can be challenging as I always need to be wary of blemishes and bad light. The aim is to capture a perfect image in perfect lighting that enhances the styling work. If there’s a single hair out of place or the makeup is wrong, it will become immediately apparent, ruining the image.
I thrive with creative fashion concepts, capturing beautifully designed products and selecting the perfect talent. Fashion photography allows me to bring the clothing to life and illustrate a story behind the collection.
When I am creating fashion portraiture, the focus is mainly on the clothing rather than the look of the model – the models’ appearance only enhances the product. Visually, the shot is really simple, with frames cropped tightly in from mid-body to the face, or from the shoulders to the face. Again, to get a great fashion portrait, the garment and model need to be lit and styled correctly for the shot to work by creating a story around the garment and use a location and styling to match.
I am super excited in that I have been recently contacted and invited by the London School of Fashion (LSF) to come and work with some of their up and coming fashion designers to photograph all of their couture line!
Given everything that is going on in the world today, do you think the role of artists has changed? How do local, national or international events and issues affect your art?
I believe success and the role of artists can be viewed and measured a few different ways…
1. To me, in general, it means having a healthy balance of being able to photograph what you love and deliver to clients what they love. That is to say, success as a photographer is a function of client satisfaction. All the money in the world won’t make you successful if you are not passionate about what you love.
2. Secondly, a successful photographer is one who can not only properly expose their images but can communicate or convey a message to the viewer through the effective use of aperture, shutter speed and ISO, as well as choosing the proper lens and understanding how to use proper lighting and color to set the mood. When someone can look at your image without his or her name and positively identify the artist, then I would say he/she has succeeded as a photographer. This is what I strive for every day!
3. Being a successful photographer also means to me that I’m consistently producing work that reflects my vision and upholds the quality I expect, that I am booking clients who hire me for this vision, that my customer service is top notch, and because ultimately this is my profession, that at the end of the day this work does not put me in the red.
4. I think you have to be confident and proud of your own work. To me, success is pouring my heart and soul into my photography and being satisfied with the art I produce. As a business, you have to be consistent, unique and professional to be successful.
5. Success also means having my clients value my work and me, as an artist, as well as they rave about my work and they share their experience with family and friends. Over time, all this allows me to develop great rapport with my clients and we continue to keep in touch even after the finished portraits are delivered to them.
How or where can people see your work? How can people support your work?
– Model Mayhem (www.modelmayhem.com/27914)
– Shutter Magazine Feature (January 2015 Glamour issue)
– Instagram (narayanan_photography)
– Facebook (www.facebook.com/jacknarayanan)
– Silent Auctions at various schools
– Wild Strawberry Hair Salon Photo Shoot in Connecticut
People can support my work by sharing my work with friends and family!
- Address: Current: 18220 N. 68th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85054Effective July 1, 2018: 21155 N. 56th Street Phoenix, AZ 85054
- Website: www.jacknarayanan.com and www.narayananphotography.com
- Phone: 6096102117
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @narayanan_photography
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/jacknarayanan
The Cribbins family
The Zintz Family
Hair and Makeup by Dania Blanco of Cosmiix Artistry