Today we’d like to introduce you to Al Levi.
Al, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
I was in my family plumbing, heating and cooling business in New York City. I along with my brothers were the 3rd generation and today my older brother still operates our company on Long Island, NY with his son, the 4th generation, and his son-in-law. What we created in the 90s was a more systematic way to run our business and that is what leapfrogged us ahead of our competition. We created one of a kind operating manuals that detailed how we did business in pretty much all the boxes on our Org. Chart. It made our business more repeatable which served our customers better, our company better and all who worked for us.
I left to start my consulting business in January 2002 to help other contractors across the USA and even Canada get these key business systems in place. What I call the 7 Powers:
1. Planning Power!
2. Operating Power!
3. Staffing Power!
4. Sales Power!
5. Sales Coaching Power!
6. Marketing Power!
7. Financial Power!
And this is what the clients on the Success Gallery of my website speak to as what changed things at their business for the better:
Today, I’m part of the Zoom Drain Franchise that I started with my clients and my fellow industry consultant, Ellen Rohr.
I have a book called “The 7-Power Contractor: How to run your contracting business with less stress and more success.”
These business basics fit all businesses to this point I’ve worked with a photographer, a condo builder and a cabinet manufacturer….all industries I never did myself.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
I’m all about planning. Which is why Planning Power-Leadership Power is what I teach and preach and most importantly practice. I gave my dad and my two older brothers 3 years notice that I was going to leave. Think about that. I wanted to make sure I had fully replaced myself and the systems I was going to share with others worked flawlessly at my family business. I’m pleased to say 15 years later since I left the business the family business is still humming along.
I was lucky in that I was recognized for the special business skills I had and so when I was leaving I was offered a job to write a column every month in one of the leading publications. This along with happy customers who spread the word has kept me gainfully employed with little drop off.
The good news is when I left my family business I was just 48 years old and didn’t have to work but rather I got to pick what I love and in my case the money followed. It’s been a great ride and I attribute it to doing my planning like following My Golden Rules for Business and My Golden Rules for Life so I pay attention that they don’t fall into conflict with one another.
In the end, I’m honored to give back to the industry that’s been so good to my family and me. Business can be hard….but I learned it doesn’t have to be.
We’d love to hear more about your business.
As the name implies, The 7-Power Contractor is all about the 7 big things it takes to run pretty much any business:
1. Planning Power!-Working on the right thing. At the right time. In the right way
2. Operating Power!-policies and procedures in writing that cover the 80% of what goes on and is known at each box on the Org Chart
3. Staffing Power!-which is fixing the holes in existing staff, finding and fixing the holes in newly hired experienced staff and MOST importantly hiring willing people and providing the skills vs. always trying to rewire experienced people
4. Sales Power!-which is really great communication skills, ethical selling which is asking great questions and listening so the customer is served
5. Sales Coaching Power!-which is rewarding those who create sales with money they create the right way which is always in the customer’s best interest first so it can be good for the company and staff in the long run
6. Marketing Power!-which is the right amount of calls, from the right customer at the right time
7. Financial Power!-which is knowing the key metrics in real time in what I call real-world accounting vs. accountant accounting which is KFP (known financial position) in real time.
What were you like growing up?
I was always a good student. I paid attention and loved to learn. A lot of my free time was spent in the family plumbing, heating and cooling business learning the trade because my dad was a firm believer that I should never ask anyone to do anything I hadn’t done.
I loved all sports both playing them and watching them.
Being the youngest of six, I learned a lot from my older siblings.
I loved all that NYC had to offer including food, culture and education.
- The 7-Power Contractor ebook is $9.99
- The 7-Power Contractor paperback is $24.95
- Address: 10632 N Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
- Website: https://www.7powercontractor.com/
- Phone: 480-205-5164
- Email: email@example.com
Build Your Operating Manuals Program Graduates