Today we’d like to introduce you to Christina Johnson.
Christina, we’d love to hear your story and how you got to where you are today both personally and as an artist.
My photography journey started like quite a few other creatives out there – taking photos of my kids. I have two wild and adventurous little boys and they are hands down my creative inspiration and the spark that helped me rediscover my creative side!
For the last 12 years I have worked as a pediatric healthcare professional but, it wasn’t until a few years ago, when my husband bought me my first “big girl” camera for Christmas that I realized I had been ignoring a side of me that I loved and missed. I practiced photography on my first son as he grew and of course, I thought he was the cutest kid in the world so, I overshared every image I took on all of my social media accounts. Friends started noticing my work and asked me to take pictures of their kids too. Not long after that, Christina J Photography was born and continues to grow.
We’d love to hear more about your art. What do you do you do and why and what do you hope others will take away from your work?
I am a wedding and portrait photographer who serves all of Arizona. I love traveling and I am starting to branch out into destination weddings and adventure sessions, which are sessions that require travel and you guessed it – adventure! Two of my favorite things.
I often describe my style as vivid, fun loving, and authentic. During a session with me you can expect to laugh and have fun. I firmly believe in capturing true to life moments. Which means, I likely won’t have you stand and look at the camera, but rather move a lot and interact with each other. Authentic connections are my jam and I’m not above a little potty humor to get those laughs.
When you leave a session, I want your thoughts to be “wow that was fun” rather than, “thank god that is over.” If I can win over grandpa, dad, or husband it is a win in my book! My goal is to create images you will look back at, hang on your walls, and truly treasure forever.
What do you know now that you wished you had learned earlier?
My advice for new artists just getting started is:
- Don’t get caught up in the mindset that you need every piece of new gear out there to take beautiful pictures. I started out with the canon rebel series and used that for the first year in business until I could afford to upgrade my camera body with my profits. Start where you are with what you’ve got, work hard, and you WILL grow. Starting a business in debt is not ideal. Try not to get sucked in.
- Take time to create for yourself. It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle of “busy season” or making sure you are doing enough client work to pay the bills but, burn out is real my friends and creating something for just you are so rewarding!
- Practice, practice, practice. Pick up that camera any chance you get. Practice with home decor, your kids, or even pets. The more you create, the more you will grow!
- Try not to forget why you started. Figure out your “why” so when things get hard, you can remind yourself why you started this journey in the first place.
Do you have any events or exhibitions coming up? Where would one go to see more of your work? How can people support you and your artwork?
You can see my work online at www.christinajphotography.com and on my social media accounts listed below.
- Website: www.christinajphotography.com
- Phone: 602-908-5750
- Email: Christinajphoto@gmail.com
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/christinaj_photography
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/christinajphoto
Head shot image by Leanne Torzala Photography edited by Christina J Photography.